The dog has a blanket on the couch; it’s her customary place.
Since the weather has cooled off, Jeff has an increased fondness for blankets. This morning he decided he liked the couch blanket.
The dog had been on it at the time.
After the dog had been banished, the blanket scene heated up further when Rita arrived to investigate availability.
Couch blanket demand, it seems, greatly outpaced supply.
- – - – -
EDIT: Staff will respond to several questions submitted by commenters:
“Do you have a couch for your Mom?”
- Jeff generously permits Staff to use any furniture he is not currently using.
“It’s time for Staff to go blanket shopping.”
- Staff stocks many blankets and distributes them widely. Staff has concluded that there will never, ever be enough blankets.
“Where is Norman, and does the dog have a name?”
- Generally Norman is hiding in the closet or burrowed under a blanket. He appears each evening promptly at dinnertime to ensure that Staff is on schedule.
- Staff calls the dog Hazel. Staff is not aware of Jeff acknowledging the other creatures by name.
“Is Rita Jeff’s sister or girlfriend?”
- Neither. Their relationship is best categorized as frenemies.